24 October 2007

Flowers of the week...

Okay I know it's only been 5 days but I just couldn't wait to share these next flowers. The flowers of the week are roses. We have 20 rose bushes in our yard. They are dispersed throughout the yard both fromn and back we have a couple of climbers and then we have standard ones. I've been told by a garden expert that a few of our roses have been in the yard for more than 50 years. The pictures I'm showing you today come are both climbers. One comes from the front yard and the other one comes from the back yard. Once again I'm amazed how well things grow done here we basically feed these plants twice a year, trim them in winter and keep the aphids at bay. The plants do the rest. All of the other bushes along with the ones these came from are also full of buds but have yet to start blooming. When they do I will probably get pictures to share with you, especially some in the garden itself. Enjoy...

This rose is in the front garden growing on an arch trellis. It has a slight fragrance and if I had to guess I'd say the bush it came from is between 10-20 years old. The bloom itself is as big as my open hand.






(Update: I know it looks like I'm obsessing but I'm really not. Anyway, just to prove my point about how big the bloom is I measured the width of this bloom and it measures 6 inches across. It's huge! Hmmm where have I heard that before)

Next up this rose with it's lovely violet colouring comes from the back yard and is from the bush that we believe to be at least 50 years old. The fragrance from this rose is amazing and these two roses alone can fill the room with their fragrance.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous roses!
I was going to make a smart comment about the new variety of "hand" rose, but figured I better not..GRIN!

((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Aww, those are gorgeous roses

Ur-spo said...

i miss growing flowers, roses especially.