31 December 2008

Out with the old and in with the new...

Well it's finally here, the last day of 2008.  I have to say that 2008 was not the best of years. This year will go down as the year of the back surgeries. I am finally on the mend after the four surgeries. I saw my neurologist just before Christmas and it looks like we have finally made progress on bringing feeling back into my legs well at least one of them. The neurologist said it would still be several months before we would know exactly how well the surgery has gone and I'm okay with that as long as we are moving in the right direction.

The rest of 2008 was a toss up. There were good and bad things and neither of which were that memorable. Hubby's mum is still taking chemo for her cancer. She's done it hard and we keep looking for that light at the end of the tunnel for her. Unfortunately I'm afraid it will be the wrong light and that the end of the tunnel will be found sometime in 2009. As an added bad thing for 2008 toward the end of the year we found out that hubby's favourite aunt has breast cancer and apparently it is an aggressive type. She has had the surgery and will be starting radiotherapy in the next few weeks. She has heart problems on top of all this and we are afraid that 2009 will not be a good news year as far as she is concerned.  Hubby's dad is hanging in there and for 86 is not doing to bad but I'm afraid if something finally happens with the wife it will take him down. We shall wait and see as we always do.

On my side of the family things are maybe a bit better but definitely not rosey. You know my problems so we won't go there. My mum is struggling with her loneliness. I've tried to get her to get out of the house more but it's not working and with me all the way on the other side of the world it's a bit difficult to physically motivate her. My brother, God Love Him, tries he's best to help her but he has enough problems of his own. He works like a dog or he's at least treated like one by his employer. He also worries everyday about his wife my sister-in-law and her health, she has MS. (Sorry bro, hope you don't mind me mentioning this if so I apologise now). When you get right down to it my family has it's own problems and they are doing their best to cope.

Add to all of this the problems of the world, the economy, the war, etc. and no wonder every one is finding it hard to cope. I would like to say that 2008 was just a bad year and I hope that 2009 will be a better year but it's not that easy. I can hope that 2009 will be better but I also know that it will hold some tough moments. I can also only hope that when those bad moments arise we will be able to weather them as we have done so in the past. In the end all we can do is to keep moving forward, throw in a lot of hope, and wish for the best. 2009 will bring what it may and when it does we will deal with what ever we are dealt. I hope that each and every one of you will have a decent 2009. I hope that what ever you are dealt with will not be to hard for you to manage and some where in side all of it you will be given some pleasant surprises. Take care, stay well and keep moving forward.

Happy New Year to one and all...

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

I very much hope and want 2009 to be a better year for you, yours, and the world.