27 May 2009

What's up Wednesday for 27 May 2009...

Well here it is the very first "What's up Wednesday". As you may or may not know, last Wednesday I asked you "my loyal readers" to come up with questions that you would like me to answer and that every Wednesday following I would willingly answer those questions. I said no question was to personal and if it were well then I just would not answer it. Anyway, this Wednesday we have three questions albeit two are from one blogger friend and one from not only a blogger friend but also a friend in real life. So let's get to the questions.

As common courtesy dictates "ladies first" so the first question come from that dear friend who actually introduced me to my current hubby. You can read her blog here and her question is:

"Do you remember falling off the bar stool in Galveston - do you remember the trip at all??

The simple answer is yes I remember the event. However, it was not I that fell off the stool but instead it was the questioner herself after the first pitcher of Jamaican me Crazy’s”. Then after a another pitcher of “Jamaican me Crazy’s” there was the falling down a set of stairs outside a tacky tourist trap souvenir shop almost immediately followed by a little song and dance on the footpath. Now she will deny this to the hilt but I have a witness who now happens to be my hubby. I also remember from that trip that on the way home to Dallas the women in question wanted to drive so my partner and I could rest. Now we agreed to let her drive and the next thing I know I wake up to cars whizzing by in a blur with the woman in question going close to 100 and all she had to say for herself is "They'll have to catch me first", referring to the police. She told me I would be sorry for allowing people to ask anything and I think it is she that should think again before asking dangerous questions WEG (An old saying we made up like LOL except this one stands for Wicked Evil Grin)

The next two question come from a very dear blogger that I like to call my friend. He writes a very witty blog that you can read over here. His first question is:

"How much of Australia have you seen, and what do you mean to eventually see?"

Well, Australia is broken up into six states and two territories. You have for the states Queensland (QLD), New South Wales (NSW), Victoria (VIC), Tasmania (TAS), South Australia (SA), and Western Australia (WA). The two territories are the Northern Territory (NT) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), which is where the nations capital is in the city of Canberra. I have been to the ACT and Canberra as well as visiting the seat of Australian government the Parliament. Now as to where else I have been, I've travelled to QLD and the cities of Brisbane, Port Douglas, the Gold and Sunshine Coast to name a few as well as to Cairns which is one of the jumping off places where you can catch boats to take you out to the Great Barrier Reef which I have seen. I lived in Sydney for four years. Sydney sits in NSW. I have travelled up and down most of the coast of NSW to towns like Gosford, Newcastle and Wood Rising to the north of Sydney and Wollongong, Jervis Bay and Bega to the south. I have seen a few places inland NSW including the Hunter Valley for some outstanding wines.

I have visited Melbourne (VIC) on many occasions. One of the places to go from Melbourne is to take the road trip to the Twelve Apostles along the Great Ocean Road. I have also been to Adelaide, which is in South Australia. In SA there is a wine district called the Barossa Valley I would love to visit there. Finally, yet importantly I have of course seen Tasmania as it is where I now reside and I have seen almost the entire island except for both King Island and Flinders island off the north coast of Tasmania along with the northeast corner of the island around Stanley. To be honest it is not hard to get around Tasmania as it only takes you two and a half hours to get from the top to the bottom. So, the only major places left on my list are the city of Perth in WA. Also in WA there is once again another wine making district which is also know for it cheeses amongst other things and that is the Margaret River area and that is another place on my list to visit. Then there is the city of Darwin in NT of which I need to visit. I also need to visit Ayers Rock, aka Uluru as named by the indigenous people of the region. It sits in NT outside the town of Katherine. If I see all of that, I will be happy

The second question is:

"Today is Memorial Day: it makes me think of other holidays. But major holidays Do you still celebrate even though you live in Australia?"

I only celebrate Australian holidays, as things like Memorial Day do not make sense here. I of course celebrate things like Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter and Mother's and Fathers Day. I do not celebrate Thanksgiving but have given thought to inviting several friends over one November and baking the turkey and all the trimmings to have my own celebration so maybe some day. Halloween is a funny thing as there are some people who would like to see it introduced here and there are even people that have Halloween parties. In fact, there is a large Gay and Lesbian event each Halloween called the Halloween Ball, which of course is a big dance party and everyone dresses up. On the other hand kids don't dress up as a rule however there a few as I said who do As some of the candy makers sell their good in holiday packaging so it is a very confused holiday. The other one I will mention and then leave it is Father's day. While in the states it is celebrated in June over here it is celebrated in September and I am not sure why.

So there you go the first "What's up Wednesday". I know my answers were a bit long but maybe there are times that warrant long answers and other times will be short we shall see but first you need to start asking the question. So, the question line for next Wednesday is now open. Leave you questions in the comment section and I look forward to answering them for you next week. Until next time take care and enjoy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn. You're good.

Ur-spo said...

Thank you for those answers
I think I would be sad without Halloween, and discombulated to have the seasons reversed.

I would love to see Autralia, but it looks like trying to cram it all in in a week's time is asking too much.

About the snow, when did you drift?